Friday, December 12, 2008

December 12, 2008

It’s Friday evening and Joanne has just dropped off a meal for us. Jocelyn, Brad, Darryl and myself dig in and in 10 minutes it’s gone. It probably took hours to prepare but we polish it off in no time. Jocelyn came home Wednesday to “stay” home. After everything that happened last week we are exhausted and so glad to be home. Four of Jocelyn’s girl friends and coworkers Andrea, Mary, Coby and Jane got into our house and completely decorated it for Christmas. Apparently Rob Bouwers organized the whole thing. A guy? It has a beautiful Christmas tree completely decorated and each of the office employees picture is inside an ornament. The house is full of beautiful poinsettia’s and Jocelyn’s Christmas village was all set up with lights. When I would come home from being with Jocelyn all day at the hospital I would enter into a lonely dark house. It was nice to sit in the living room with all the decorations. I hated coming home without Jocelyn. Last Saturday after getting more bad news Jocelyn said that was enough, “No more treatments;” and as soon as she had recovered enough from surgery she came home. I couldn’t wait to show her the living room.

One of my buddies John and his son Jeff wired our living room with surround sound so she can listen to worship and praise songs, which she loves to listen to. We have set up an electric hospital bed in the living room to make her comfortable. When Jocelyn came home Wednesday my biker buddy and prayer warrior Pete Wierenga and Mary Bokma were there to help Jocelyn to get into the house. Jocelyn is resting comfortably and when she is resting in bed, she has no pain. She has a kitchen shelf full of medicine that I have to give her every so many hours. I am with her 24/7 to look after all her personal needs. Why? Because of she is my best friend, lover and my wife. I know without a doubt, she would do the same if it was me. I sleep on the couch in the living room at night so that I can help her at a moments notice. I keep in regular contact with my sister-in-law Kathy who is a cancer doctor to make sure we understand it all. She is amazing. Our youngest son Brad has quit his job and is staying with us. That is a big deal and together Brad and I can handle this. Our “middle” son Darryl can also get some time off from work and so with the three of us we will be in even better shape. We have set up the house so that visitors enter through the downstairs and can tiptoe into the living room without too much fuss. Last night our oldest son Chris and his wife Tiffany were over with their kids and it was neat to be able to have the grandkids play downstairs when they got to rowdy. Jocelyn needs a lot of rest so visits have to be very short and quiet.

When the hospital support staff and the community support organizations ask if we need any counseling we politely decline the offers. Why? Because we have an amazing circle of friends, a close family and a very caring and supporting church family. We are experiencing a never ending flow of love from family and friends. Jocelyn’s girl friends including Lorraine, Sonya and Vicky and others like Rob and Glenda dropped in just to give a hug and my big buddy Ed Roorda and his wife Ann stop by to drop off some home made bread, listen to a special song, hug, shed a tear and pray and have some quiet conversation. “Big Boys don’t cry, but real men do”. Pastor E.J. and Sharen stop by to visit and pray with us. Jocelyn’s brother Ron and his daughter Holly are here from Alberta. Jocelyn’s long time girl friend Winnie is here from B.C. Why do I mention all these names? Jocelyn and I are not alone in this journey. We are not afraid. We feel the comfort of our almighty God. We feel the love from our friends and family. We read scripture a lot. Jocelyn’s too favourite books are Psalms and Phillipians. We read together, share those things that stand out and pray lots. What a beautiful time it is to be able to share our deepest inmost feelings. The time we have yet together is so very very precious to us and we want to make every minute count. We can still praise our God for every minute and hour he gives us.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear John & Jocelyn and family

I have wanted to write you many times in these last few weeks, but to be honest, didn't really know what to say. It's hard to know what's going on out here, but your latest post makes it easy to respond! You are constantly in my thoughts and prayers!!

Can I tell you a story? (You don't really get a choice...)
Tonight I was in a bookstore, when I found myself suddenly eavesdropping on a conversation taking place around me. One young man was educating two others on the uselessness of christian missionaries.(I refrained from piping in ) He then continued and had alot of "interesting" things to say about the church. Some probably true, others - - well, He seemed to have a vivid imaginiation... but then he said this, and this is what I was playing over in my head as I checked your blog tonight, "the thing I don't like about Christians, is that they only care about peoples souls..." My heart broke for him that that is the conclusion He has come to about Christians, but mostly about who God must be to him. What if He knew what the love of Jesus looked like, that the love of Jesus cared about every aspect of his life. What if he got to see the things John wrote about tonight, a group of people full of love that come together in the good times, and especially in the hard times. People who live life, each day, each moment, rooted in the strength of God and in the truth of who He is.

I was reading from Psalm 84 today, and it says this, "Passing through the valley of Weeping, they make it a place of springs; the early rain also fills the pools with blessings. I am soo sad for the news you guys have received and everything you have been through, Seems like a valley of sorrow, yet, like John wrote, with God there are still springs and blessings and beautiful things in the midst of it. Your strength is so beautiful.

I hope to see you soon
Lots of love
Deanna

Anonymous said...

Dear John and Jocelyn, and your kids - whom I so wish I knew becuase they sound fantastic!,

The bad part about all these wonderful things God has allowed me to do, and the places He's brought is that i haven't been as close to my extended family. It seems that the older I get the more that matters somehow...childhood memories become more precious - bus rides to and from school, cousins who probably don't even remember doing standing up for me when kids picked on me(g), throwing eggs for the pigs and wondering how it was that the Canadian Geese never seemed to leave your farm in the winter?...

Phone calls and emails from family and this blog have been precious. it is a good thing to know you married so well my cousin! You both did. This is what happens when people let God move in their lives!

I have delighted that the prayers of grandparents long before us have been answered in regards to the faith of many in our family, and trust that He Who has begun a (very) good work, will be faithful to complete it in answer to those prayers. You honor those who have gone before you and you are a testimony to all who will come behind.

You have inpsired me to become more involved with the needs in my own community with your committment to Rose City Kids - thank you for that - the ripples of your pond are being felt across the continent in a little town on the Oregon Coast - who says one person, a few people can't make a difference?

John, you honor us all, and you glorify God by loving Joeclyn so well. Thank you for seeing what is so precious in her and saying yes to all of her!

There will come a day...God's trumpet WILL sound, and all this will be swallowed up in victory and new life. Amen, come Lord Jesus. Until that day, I will keep you all in my prayers and be grateful for your ministry to me in how you live your lives every day.

My love to you all,
Cyn

Anonymous said...

Dear John & Jocelyn,

Many times I am awake very early in the morning and over the last few weeks the first thing I do when I get up is check your blog to see if there is any update. I was happy to see a new post this morning. You have been in my thoughts and prayers. I am thankful that Jocelyn is home. Sounds like you have a wonderful network of friends. What a blessing! We will continue to pray for you all.

Love Wayne & Kathy

Anonymous said...

Dear John, Jocelyn and family

Thanks for the latest blog,don't know how to respond but we feel we must. We are amazed at your love for each other and the Lord we will just leave this text with you
"The Lord bless you and keep you
The Lord make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward and give you peace.

Bernie + Anita

Anonymous said...

Family and friends in the Lord are the best.
Pete Terpstra

Stefan and Karyn said...

Dear Jocoelyn, John and family,
I've been quietly reading your blog, tears streaming down my cheeks....for weeks. It is such an amazing testimony to read of your journey holding God's hands through this. wow. Thank you for being vulnerable and sharing. I have shared you with my class...grade 9 (the grade you told me to teach John, and I didn't believe you--you were right!)
We've been praying for you--a lot. In fact they refer to you all the time, "we need to pray for JOcelyn! IT's so cool.

Know you are prayed for with aching hearts from Calgary. Know that I pray for the Rose City Kids work that is being done, that it grows and multiplies. I just pray for John, Darryl, Brad, Chris, Tiffany, the kids, the church, that God will move in huge giant ways in your aching hearts.

I would love to visit, so here it is...Psalm 73...especially 23-on.

Blessings and love and prayers for you all, Karyn Wynalda Booth

Anonymous said...

John and Jocelyn
You will continue to be in our prayers. May God bless you and be with you. What a testimony it is to read of the love you have for eachother and your love for our Heavenly Father.

Anonymous said...

dear jocelyn, i just wanted to tell you that i loved having you as a prayer leader in honduras. you inspired me so muh with your incredible faith god and kind heart. praying for you , lots of love from tia, british columbia

Anonymous said...

Dear John Jocelyn and Chris, Tiff, the kids, Darryl and Brad:
You are all an amazing beacon of light to all those around you, even as you go through a dark time. Your passion for Christ and his Love is contagious and this Journey that your on is a constant reminder that no matter where or what, God Never Leaves our side.
Your in our thoughts and prayers Daily. So much love and blessings to you all.
Sincerely:
Paul and Kristie Willms

Anonymous said...

john, jocelyn & family
I'm not sure what to say but I first want to thank you for all your support during Ken's treatment. You have given so much to everyone you come into contact with. As I read thought this blog though my tears I am truly inspired and thankful to know you. I hope you are as well as you can be and I pray for you. Blessings,
Gayle Breitenbach

Anonymous said...

Dear Jocelyn, John and Family,

Your strength is an inspiration to anyone that knows you.

When I was diagnosed with cancer I felt that everything was falling into itself.

You and John made me quickly realize that the journey that I was about to begin would not be alone. Your support made me quickly realize that my friends and family would carry me through my illness. I am truly thankful for your support.

Your ongoing faith through your journey strengthens mine.

You and your family are in my prayers.

Ken Breitenbach

Anonymous said...

Hi Jocelyn,
A lot has happened since I saw you last at the dentist's office. We thnk about you and pray for you daily---and whenever I do, I am reminded of your competancy& enthusiasm in so many areas, your deep faith and commitment--and it encourages me in my own life. No doubt right now you feel all kinds of emotions (including tiredness) but be assured that you continue to be used by God--not so much by what you do as by who you are--a child of God, loved by Him.
Thinking of you, George
Let me also add how much I respect who you are as a sister in Christ, your wholehearted commitment in all you do, has encouraged me to continue on in my journey to live for Him. Know that you are loved, and daily upheld before the Father's throne. Isn't it great that as Christians we don't have to "hang in there", it's not up to us, we have a Father who does all the work, as He carries us through each day.
Jocelyn, you are loved !
Joyce

Anonymous said...

Dear Mrs Langendoen,
Thankyou for everything you have done for me. May the Lord be with you.
I pray for you all the time.
The Lord be with you throughout your life for you to grow strong and be healthy. For I care for you! You'll be safe while God is protecting you and watching you in His hands. He will keep you safe. The Lord is with you. Do not worry God will keep you safe Love you! Love Cheyenne Boucher (8 yrs old)

Anonymous said...

Dear Mrs Langendoen,
you are a gift from God. Remember on grandparents-day if my grandma did't come you did. You are great. You are my dad's boss. I went to your work and I got to pet the dog. So mrs.Langendoen I pray for you to get much better. Thank you for everything you've done for me I hope you get better soon. I say every night! "Thank you God for for bringing you in this world". Love always Cheyenne Boucher

Anonymous said...

John & Jocelyn

Over the past month I have been reading the blog wanting to write something but not knowing exactly what to write.
Today I decided that letting you know you are loved is more important than what words I use to say so.
You are an inspiring and wonderful couple who have touched the lives of many, including us.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Carol-Ann and Tom Thompson

Anonymous said...

Dear Jocelyn,

How are you doing? I am doing fine. I am looking forward to seeing you. May the Lord be with you.

Love Eva