Monday, October 6, 2008

Oct. 6th - Wow what a weekend we had!

What a great anniversary we had on Friday – we bought watches – nothing spectacular – Cardinal brand, but what they symbolize TIME is what is amazing. Our single sons spent some time with us as Chris & Tiff are patiently baby waiting. I cooked a meal for them Saturday night. Saturday we had an awesome Rose City Kids even though there was a Niagara Food Festival going on celebrating Welland’s 150th anniversary.
********
Then on Sunday morning, during the service our pastor in his 9 week sermon series about marriage asks all the married couples in church who would like to stand up and repeat their vows all after him, but look into your partners eyes at the same time and say their name. Well, John & I are looking into each others eyes - repeating was pretty touching. Years ago a pastor might have tried that and no one would have stood up. Today, so many couples did, maybe everyone did. For me, that is a gift to John & I, when we had to say to each other – “in sickness and health, for better or for worse”…. and know that in sickness is real!!” I thanked God for today, as all the praise touched our hearts, the buzz of excitement in church! It was a great service! We are becoming a God-honouring community witnessing for Christ.
........
John and I also enjoyed the glorious weather – went out on the motorcycle with John to the hills of Effingham and Pelham back roads. I would never believe I could do that this soon! But we tried and it was fun! How can I be sad about cancer?
.......
I have a great wig which I’m wearing cause my color is coming out and my vanity likes the wig! My hair is coming out as I comb it today. I took my first aspirin Sunday night - no head ache ever in the last 4 weeks, pre-surgery, surgery, recovery … but felt one before sleep last night - must be the hair tingling at my scalp. When I woke up the headache was gone!

No mourning that hair, it’s looking the wrong color to me anyways (ha, ha, we vain women who color our hair!!) – People tell me this wig makes me look better than ever. I have been trying to lose 10 lbs for 10 years, and now I did. God is giving me these little gifts – I just know he is! So I will ask at radiation today if I can get Emily to just cut more hair for me, or if I should let it fall out naturally.

Can I share a God story about my wig? Thanks. Glenda who got me in touch with Transitions Studio – Carlos who started up a Canadian chapter of a a non-profit organization in 1977 called “Wigs for Kids” They make wigs for kids with cancer from real hair. See below for website info. When friend Mary and Christine came with me to pick out a wig Mary talked about “Irene Bakker being a scarf lady”, way back when. He said he remembered her! Maybe even saw a video she made? Wow! God story! He was wonderful to help make decisions about a wig. Mary and Christine laughed right along with him. He was impressed that I could almost talk as fast as him. We all know Italians can talk fast! So Thanks Carlos at Transition Studio’s – you are going to need to send some business cards over to the Juravinski Cancer Centre. I gave mine to the radiation nurses! They loved the wig. The Bakker girls and Vermeer's will be blessed by this story
God provided an army of pray-ers for me (through you all) – fast tracked through all these medical appointment stuff. Delegating is becoming a wonderful thing I’m enjoying at work. Great assistant! God is good! Looks like a nice weather week – enjoy everyone! Day 9 of radiation today, work in the morning and appointment in the afternoon. Love you all for your prayers and concern.

No comments: