Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Oct. 1st - This morning when I woke up this is the message I needed to share:

Years ago my family and I learned the truths to the words of this song when our son Brad was young, his 5 year old friend battled cancer - John Martin went to be with Jesus at a very young age. We got to know a crazy grandma! (P&S) We were blessed. These words of this song stayed with us and they come back to me this morning.
*********
We are encouraged even today by living one day at a time, sometimes one step at a time, and sometimes one moment at a time…… life isn’t easy …..
but we have grace for each day!
*********
When something seems to hard to handle, to big too conquer, too far away to touch,
When all your dreams begin to shatter, and deep inside you, your hurting most of all.
That’s when it’s time to say, I’m climbing my mountain, step by step.
I’m climbing my mountain, day by day. Climbing my mountain all the way.
Climbing my mountain …. I’m going to make it. One step at a time.
One step at a time. One step at a time. With Jesus by my side. One step at a time.
With Jesus by my side. One step at a time. One step at a time. I’m climbing my mountain,
One step at a time. Even though you might grow weary, don’t get discouraged,
In a weakness, God is Strong. Remember this …..
He’ll never forsake you. He’s your strength and he is your song.
So singing is got to say. I’m climbing my mountain, step by step.
I’m climbing my mountain all the way. I’m climbing my mountain.
I’m gonna make it one step at a time. With Jesus by my side.
***********
BLESSINGS IN OUR LIVES
Today Brad has compassion in his character which was being molded even way back then when we had many visits with his friend. Recently he spent 2 years at the Centre for Creative Media in Texas. Not getting a degree but learning hands on about film and production. It was an amazing, invaluable experience for him. While spending time with our family closely the last couple of weeks - Brad prayed a lot and made the hard decision to continue going to the Middle East on October 14th on a 2 week trip. Check out
www.nonviolentartist.com to learn more. He has our blessing and we look forward to seeing what God can do in his life.

Darryl has gotten his social work degree this year and had 2 years experience working in Chicago with neighbourhood action groups, volunteer time in Mexico etc. He is going to be a great asset for advise
with his expertise for Rose City – Kids Ministry. He recently started working in Toronto with
Wood Green Neighbourhood Services.

Chris is working in business with us with many gifts and talents and John and I enjoy this so much. Our daughter in law Tiff , is wonderful, caring mother of 3 and soon to be 4. We are so excited this week! Day 6 of radiation today – God is answering all your prayers and
working through this and giving me strength for each day.
GOD IS GOOD!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jocelyn:
Thank you so much for your blog! It is a wonderful way to keep updated when I can't see or talk to you in person. Your continuous positive attitude is a blessing to all who know you, and an inspiration to those who don't. You are such a loyal and trusting friend that our family treasures dearly. Have a great day!!
Mike, Vicky, Bailey, Connor and Nathan

Anonymous said...

Our family continues to pray for you through these days of radiation.Thank-you for inspiring us with your faith. May God continue to bless you as you are a such a blessing to others!
Lloyd and Anita and family

Anonymous said...

I love the words in this song!! I have printed it out and I'm going to give it to my Mom. Her cancer has come back too. Your daily words are such a blessing to all that read them. Caroline Eyk

Anonymous said...

Jocelyn,
You are so much in our prayers and thoughts as well as John and the family. You have a closeknit family and circle of great friends that care and love you lots. We are all here for you. I remember Brad and John-Martin together a lot and the friendship they shared was awesome. You always commented to me on the journal i kept to help me cope through the years of his illness. You always told me how strong you thought i was, well life has this way of dealing us different situations and joys and trials, and now i thank God for your strength and for this outlet of this blog. It is wonderful to keep up with you and what is happening. You to, have the gift of writing...i love reading your stories as well. Thankyou for allowing all of us to walk this road with you. That we are able to have a look into your life and be able to share and pray with you. God bless you...These memories of two young boys building a friendship is forever etched in my heart. Thankyou! Love Brenda

Anonymous said...

It was wonderful to see you this sunday at church, God showed how quicly his healing can be not only with the return of Ethan, but blessing you with such strength to carry on everyday tasks...How fantastic is he...in Ethan's owrds.."YEAH!!"

As a folow up about your mentioning of John Martin, what I remember about hims is that John would send his Willowbrook girls to go and spend a day there to watch over the kids so that Brenda could take care of John Martin or do some daily chores. IT was a nice change of pace from the cooler or weeding..and I am sure it really helped out the Vanderhouts too! Just thought I would share a memory!

Thanks for sharing with us your experiences!! I enjoy hearing how everything is going.
Carolyn de Blieck